Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Jesus is Better than Candy

If you know me at all, you know that I have a serious sweet tooth. I have heard it runs in the family, but I am by far the worst in my immediate family. Examples? I generally keep a stash of candy in my glove compartment, specifically Fun Dip, Smarties, Cherry Sours, Sour Patch Kids, Gumballs, Nerds Rope, Air Heads, and the like. In college, my roommate made fun of me because I kept assorted candy sprinkles in the car to pour on top of my McDonald’s ice cream cones. Dessert has generally always been a requirement for me.

This began to get a little out of control (you don’t need dessert after breakfast), so I decided to stop eating sweets for a little while. So far it’s been about 10 days, and God has seriously been working in me through it. I mean, I NEVER realized how much I was counting on candy for satisfaction. I know it sounds so stupid, but it’s so true. So I’ve started to substitute Jesus for candy. If you are wondering what that means, it means that when I finish lunch and start to crave something sweet, I consider it my cue to pray. I let Jesus be enough for me. Don’t really know how else to put that, but I like it. It’s good. He is good, and He absolutely is enough.

No comments: