Yesterday I went to the gym to run on the treadmill, and as I stood there in a daze, trying to work up the motivation to run for at least 30 minutes, one of my friends from church spotted me and came over to say hello. She was waiting for the "Total Conditioning" class start in about 5 minutes.
After a little chit-chat, she could sense the fact that I was not overly motivated to run, and told me I should come to the TC class. "Guaranteed to hurt," she said.
Good idea. I'd probably get off the treadmill after about 10 minutes of light jogging anyway... may as well have somebody MAKE me workout.
Ironically, the night before Matt and I had turned on the Season Finale of The Biggest Loser (which I had never watched before). Little did I know that I was about to feel like those contestants did on the day of their very first workouts.
We started with push-ups, and after about five of them I started to wimp out (read: I only pushed every other time/ I put my knees down/ or just stopped doing them all together). I also realized that I was surrounded by a bunch of 30+ year old moms, all who were putting me to serious shame. And that's an understatement.
The deal with this class is that there really is no rest - the instructor calls it "active recovery" which means "work one muscle group till you can't breath anymore and till your muscles start shaking and giving out on you, and then immediately begin to work on another muscle group while your previous muscle group allegedly 'recovers.'" Active recovery makes me angry.
Two days later, and it is still a struggle to sit down and stand up. Apparently the days of fitness and athleticism are a thing of the past. And if I was a contestant on TBL, I would definitely lose.
It still wasn't as bad as the kickboxing class. Those people are psychos.
1 comment:
Ohhhhhh The Shred- it's a form of torture. It's a workout video by Jillian Michaels (from The Biggest Loser) with 3 progressive segments of circuit training basically. Each workout is 20 minutes, but it is hardcore! I got it for less than $10 at Walmart- you should check it out if you like workout videos :)
Post a Comment