Monday, December 7, 2009

I cheer for the horns... and more on college football

In College Station, they have a name for those people who don't sell out for Maroon and White. They call us "two per-centers." If marrying a Longhorn doesn't make me a two per-center, then I don't know what does. So unless tu is playing the Aggies, I cheer for them.

This drives my tu-hating, Aggie sister nutzo. And to be really honest, it doesn't help my marriage much either because Matt doesn't really trust me. He knows that even if I root for the burnt orange, I could turn on his horns at any moment. He knows that I did, in fact, get brainwashed at Fish Camp in 2002, that I was once, in fact, a red-ass (the opposite of a two per-center), and he basically has no respect for my lack of loyalty to any team. Who can blame him?

By the way, don't ever waste your time taunting me about what a terrible football team the Aggies have. I do not care.

But now that you know I have no loyalty, conviction, what have you, when it comes to college football, I do have some peeves, I'd like to share with you.

1. ANNOYING- People who went to schools in Texas without a decent football team (I won't name them) OR anyone who didn't go to TU who refers to the team as "we," or who says "Hook 'em," etc. as if they actually went to the school. I have NO PROBLEM with people cheering for the horns, obviously. BUT PLEASE, if you did not go to school there, do not act as if you did. Please refer to the team as "they."

2. Annoying #2- Unless specifically doing so to taunt a Longhorn, Aggies have got to stop this psychotic belief that Dirty Mac pays the refs and that UT gets all the good calls, etc. I mean most of the time -;)- you can see the replay and know that Mac is not completely dirty. i.e. There was, in fact, time left on the clock or a horse-collar (for-instance). Anyway, the psychotic-ness basically just makes Aggies look... well, psycho. It doesn't bode well for us. I'm not sayin' you have to like it when Texas gets the benefit of the doubt, just keep your mouth shut and you'll seem less desperate or sorry or something.

Lastly, I really don't like Alabama. I come from a long generation of Auburn Tiger folk. So, I will be cheering for tu in the National Championship. I have a strong feeling that my sister will not be cheering for tu. Family Feud takes on a whole new meaning.

Thanks and gig 'em. ;) Wink.

4 comments:

the blogivers said...

I also like it when people who either didn't go to college at all or went to a less reputable college insinuate that Aggies are stupid!

Marie said...

When I go to Texas bbal games I don’t like to do the horns thing during the fight song, but if I don’t everyone looks at me like I am an alien. My Dad and husband are the exact people that you hate (didn’t go to the school but refer to them as we) – I justify it as Texas being the “hometown” team in Austin, so they have adopted it as their own. But I agree it is kind of weird. When we watch UNC bball Tim will refer to UNC as “we”, which is probably even weirder, but I think it’s cute. Long story short, you don’t want to watch college sports with my family!

Kristi said...

Oh there is nothing worse in the entire world than someone who claims UT as their own and went to SMU or some other non-football school. It makes me absolutely seriously ANNOYED when they then make fun of A&M, and I'm like really? because YOU DID NOT GO TO THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SHUT UP I HATE YOU.

Honey said...

I will be cheering for TU during the national championship....but being the polite person that I am (UNLESS I AM WATCHING AUBURN FOOTBALL OR ALABAMA FOOTBALL FOR THAT MATTER) I will pretend that I think it would be nice for a team for the SEC to win.
I will have my fingers crossed behind my back, of course.
EVERYBODY who is a FAN says "WE" It happens here in Alabama, too!