Wednesday, May 20, 2009

does the car doctor know I have road rage?

Who would have thought that getting an oil change could produce in me the same sort of anxiety I get when I visit the dentist?

You might recall that pretty much every time I have visited the dentist since I was about 17 he has asked me if I am wearing the mouth guard that keeps me from grinding my teeth.

And every time he asks, I think, "Dang it, he knows!" Something about the fact that he's the expert makes me feel like he somehow knows exactly how many nights I didn't floss or that in fact, I hardly ever wear my mouth guard or what have you.

Well, today I had to get an oil change, and upon checking out, the car technician dude quickly briefed me on the condition of my car...

I basically heard, "Blah blah blah blah blah... and oh, by the way, your front brake pads are in really good shape, but your rear brake pads look to be only about 20 percent effective, and you will need new ones the next time you come in here." And then...

He immediately looked at me with this face like, "Do you have an explanation for this you crazy woman road rage driver?" I'm telling you, I could FEEL it!

Avoiding unnecessary condemnation, I just kept looking straight at the piece of paper in his hand and said, "Okay." (Sort of in a "not my fault" slash "I'm perfectly innocent" tone of voice.)

I guess if any of you know anything about cars, you can correct me if I am wrong about whether or not the wearing out of my rear brake pads has anything to do with aggressive driving, but by the way that dude was looking at me...

I'm telling you, he knows.

And, by the way, you're welcome... for spelling out the word "slash."

WEDNESDAY LOVE!

5 comments:

The Joiners said...

Ha I HATE taking my car in for an oil change or any maintenance (car wash included) because I'm always afraid that (a) I will do it wrong and look stupid or (b) they will point out something that's wrong with the car that is my fault... and I will look stupid. So basically, I'm afraid of failure... or perceived failure. I love being neurotic. :)

Honey said...

Your secret is OUT.....All of the oil changers in the city know about you.
They probably text, twitter, and email about you.
You are THE #1 FEMALE ROAD RAGER in Austin. I know because they twittered me and told me that I was to blame because I told you to quit sucking your thumb when you were 9 years old!

emmy-lou said...

hahah! he CAUGHT you!!

Brad and Katrina said...

Oh Leah you're funny. Maybe you just happen to slam on your breaks a lot because little kids are chasing balls out into the street and you don't want to hit them. Or, you really don't want to hit the squirrels that dart out in the road. Things like that....stick with those stories. Maybe the car doctor will believe you. :)

Yes. Let's hang out this summer!

The Joiners said...

Where have you been, bloggy friend?! Come back!!