Thursday, October 8, 2009

also I am a germaphobe

pig flu epidemic + pregnancy = germaphobe = Leah.

I've been very fickle with my twitter account, and about three weeks ago, I reinstated it and started following Bobby Bones. If you don't know who he is, it's better for me that I don't tell you.

Anyway, today I was thrilled to find out via twitter that Bobby, like pregnant Leah, is a germaphobe. Thrilling! Anyone out there seen the movie, What about Bob?(No relation to Bobby Bones) Well, I just may be getting to that point!
  • I wash my hands like 10,000 times a day.
  • I flush ALL toilet handles (including the ones in my house) with my foot/shoe.
  • I do not dare touch a grocery cart without first wiping it with a sanitizing towelette (thanks HEB!).
  • I do not dare get on any treadmill or machine at the gym until I have also wiped it down with a sanitizing towelette.
  • After I lift weights, I immediately go to the nearest bathroom and wash my hands.
  • Of course when I enter or leave the bathroom (or any room) I either use a paper towel to open the door, or I only touch what I perceive to be the "least likely to be touched" part of the door handle if it's even necessary to touch at all. And when you can push the door open, I usually do that by kicking it with my shoe.
  • If I find out that you are sick, have been sick within the last week, or may possibly be feeling the slightest bit abnormal, I will immediately back up three feet.
  • I carry hand sanitizer on my key chain, in my car and in my purse.
  • I also carry a travel-sized Lysol in my purse.
  • I have a new love for motion sensor soap and towel dispensers (and also automatic doors and automatic toilet flushers). Whoever invented these things is a genius.
I've also turned Matt into a germaphobe and it's really very fun. The other day at the gym, I lovingly pointed out to him that he should really pay attention to where he decides to place his hand on the door handle. (It's very obvious where the majority of people pull from.) I also make sure he has washed his hands before we leave the gym, before every meal, after every bathroom break and on and on it goes. Matt is thankful for my attention to detail because both of us are paranoid about getting sick.

I had the flu like 2 years ago, people, and I literally cannot imagine feeling worse! I used to be one who boasted that I never got a flu shot, but you'll stop that nonsense after you've had the flu, and if you don't, then you probably didn't have the flu and I'm serious! And Judy (my new favorite nurse) told me that it affects pregnant people so much worse, so I will continue with my paranoia.

Of course Texas received the pig flu mist this week, but pregnant women can only take the injection, not the mist, so I will continue in my germaphobia... but I'd probably do that anyway.

Meanwhile, I'd like to wish you all a HAPPY Thursday! (Austinites, tomorrow a COLD FRONT will blow through, and we should be getting some very heavy thunderstorms around the morning rush hour! So you drive safely to work, and I will drive safely to my 20 week ultrasound!!)

Peace and Love. :)

1 comment:

KD said...

You are so funny. I always pull the door handles with 1 finger at the top right where it bends because I figure not a lot of people touch it right there. This causes major strain on my one finger but I think it is worth it.

Are you going to get the swine flu shot when it comes?