Last night I went on a WILD and crazy nesting frenzy. Cleaning, organizing and reorganizing, painting, laundry and the list goes on.
Anyway, I was taking some of Henry's new toys out of their packages and getting his room in order when IT happened...
Music. Noise. Out of nowhere.
Some sort of classical tune that I should know the name of (probably Beethoven or Mozart) starts blaring out of nowhere. (And no, it does not sounds like the real thing because it's clearly coming from a toy.)
Immediately I get flashbacks of helping in the church nursery and babysitting. I remember having to hear the "ABC" song played over and over in a really annoying voice. "Oh, no," I think to myself, "What in the world have I gotten myself into?"
I've been around kids enough to know... when they learn that their toys have buttons that play music, they will press those buttons over and over and OVER and OVER and OVER again. Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe it.
I can't say I didn't contemplate sticking that one toy in the Goodwill pile immediately.
Matt's parents tell a story from when he was about 1 yr old (I think). They had to make a really long cross-country trip (like more than 12 hrs, though I don't remember exactly how long). Apparently Matt required them to play the song "I'm a Little White Duck" the whole entire time. And by "required" I mean, if they weren't playing the song, then he was screaming and fussing like a madman. I guess you'd rather hear "Little White Duck" ten thousand times over a crying baby.
My sister and I had a similar experience earlier this fall on a road trip w/ her youngest boy who was probably almost 6 months at the time of the trip. My mom had made up two songs for him, one to the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle," and the other to the tune of "Three Blind Mice." We drove to Alabama from Houston, and unless the little guy was sleeping, he was only content if we were singing one of his songs to him. (Over and over again.)
When that toy went off, I got a sweet little glimpse of what I have to look forward to. :)
I guess the moral of the story is that if your crying kid doesn't drive you insane, then their toys or their favorite song probably will. All this, and somehow I still can't wait for Henry to get here. It does, however, make it a little easier to treasure these last five weeks.
*In case you care to know how annoying "Little White Duck" is, I included a link to a YouTube video of it.
1 comment:
You crack me up.
Post a Comment