Monday, November 24, 2008

why I will no longer set foot in my garage

Last night was going pretty well. Matt and I drove home from Houston and stopped by HEB on the way home. When we got home, I continued my domestic domination by baking the most delicious almond crusted salmon and a cherry pie! We cleaned up the house, started doing laundry and getting ready for the week.

For about 6 months the door knob to our pantry has been loose, so I decided that last night was the time to fix that. I was going to need a screwdriver, and that was in the garage. My original instinct was to ask Matt to go get the screwdriver, and he of course said that he would do it. But usually when I ask for favors like that, I mean "now." "Now" for Matt means whenever he finishes what he is doing, or it means a minimum of 5 minutes from now. I could tell Matt wasn't gonna budge, so I put on my shoes and headed to the garage for the screwdriver... opened the door... turned on the light, and boldly started to walk across the garage, when I spotted a little friend...A RAT!!!!

I slammed the door and began jumping and screaming bloody murder for a solid 30 seconds till I lost my breath, and then when I got my breath back, I screamed again for another 10 seconds or so, and then I started crying. Matt probably thought there was an armed robber in the house or something. Well it gets better...

The pest control came out to inspect the house today and concluded that we probably had an infestation of rats... a whole little community making a home in our attic, pooping everywhere and nesting in the insulation. His exact quote was, "They're pretty happy up there." Apparently they've had to come out to over 100 houses in our neighborhood recently. He said if they haven't found a way INTO the house yet that they will soon enough. Vomit!!!!

I am no longer parking in the garage. I am also spending as much time as possible on top of beds and couches... these feet are not going on the floor unless I have to walk, and I will only do that with my running shoes on.

On top of this, nothing makes me want to cook LESS than knowing that there is a rodent nearby. They don't let it happen at restaurants, so why would I do it at my house? And I had big plans for making some yummy Thanksgiving food this week. Oh well- I am taking a hiatus from the domestic lifestyle until all the critters are GONE.

3 comments:

emily said...

NOT FUN NOT FUN NOT FUN!!!!!!!!!! I can totally sympathize with you sister. I'm so sorry!!

Katie Wussow said...

we killed two rats in our kitchen last year. when it gets cold they like to come inside where it is nice and cozy. they sell these little silent noisemaker things at target, wal-mart, etc. that make a noise that rats/mice hate but humans can't hear. we have two. i don't really know if they work, but they sure did make me feel better.

Tracy's Porch said...

oh man!!!! yeah, would freak me out also. I heard something on the ceiling when I was in the bathroom the other day but I don't think our attic goes that far back. I thought maybe it was something on the roof but maybe I better check with Dale. eek!