Tuesday, November 16, 2010

New Post, Long Overdue!

Since we last touched base, I have started two different posts on two entirely different topics and haven't finished either of them! I suppose it is highly unlikely I finish this post either.

Did you know that I like to make fun of "inspirational" quotes?

If you've been around awhile, you might have figured as much.

I do not make fun of quotes which I consider to be truly inspirational, but only those which I consider cheesy and not inspirational and/or too cheesy to be inspirational. Therefore it is totally arbitrary. Also, at one point in my life (early high school), I do remember being obsessed with cheesy "inspirational" quotes, so something changed in me, and I am not necessarily sure if I am better or worse for it- just different.

My sister and I have a game where when we come across a "too-cheesy-to-be-inspirational" quote, we post the quote on the other's Facebook wall.

Last time I did this, one of my good friends commented on the post, "Leah, is that you?" Clearly, it is out of character.

So, now you know. I am too cool to be cheesy. Or I think I am too cool. One or the other.

Anyway, I thought I'd give you a few examples (five, to be exact) of my favorite "too-cheesy-to-be-inspirational" quotes. Please don't be offended if you love these quotes or identify with them. I was once a cheeseball, too. Without further ado...
  1. "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
  2. "Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away."
  3. "Don't frown! You never know who's falling in love with your smile!"
  4. "Reach for the moon. If you miss, you'll stand among the stars."
  5. "To the world you might be just one person, but to one person, you just might be the world."
And my work here is done. Please feel free to share your favorite inspirational or cheesy, non-inspirational quotes with me.

1 comment:

sarah said...

Excuse me woman, I love number 1!! What's wrong with that one? ALso, i distinctly remember number 4 on the walls of Westwood High and i liked it back then.

I like this one from Cheryl Crow: "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got."