Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Pull through, Dr. Ferber

Disclaimer: boring mom post.  Skip if you don't care.

You may remember back in March or April when the little guy was about 6 or 8 weeks old we were doing some sleep training, and I was blogging while I listened to him cry it out.  Well, in the last couple of months we have regressed, and we're back...

Yesterday, in desperation, I went out and bought Dr. Ferber's book "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems." (Excuse me, I know that should be underlined.)  Then, after a long night of NOT SLEEPING, in desperation, I have started the "progressive waiting" method for nap time.  To those who have never read Ferber's book, it's really not as cruel as I originally thought.  And it's much easier to read than some of the other books that were recommended to me.  Just saying.

Anyway, I have learned that it is common for a child between around 6-9 months of age to start waking up in the middle of the night again because they are more aware of their surroundings.  This book's goal is to get the little one to learn to fall asleep on his own, without mommy and daddy's help. No rocking, no nursing.

*Note, learn from my mistake - do it right the first time.  We were cheating and putting our kid in his crib after he had already fallen asleep.  This works for a few months, but it stops working.  When it's a little two or three month old, it's hard to put them in their crib awake because you don't want to hear them cry.  HOWEVER, it doesn't get any easier to listen to your kid cry, and the older they get, they will just get louder and last longer.

I nannied a few kids in my pre-mommy days, and I was pretty darn good at the Ferber method (even though I didn't realize I was doing that).  It's 1000000000 times harder with your own kid, even though it works in a matter of days. Yeah, yeah, everybody says that.  It's true! Don't judge!!

Here's to sleep!

2 comments:

Will and Vanessa said...

I like your new jellybean background- just saw it since I read you on reader.

We have had to ferberize Miss Karis. She had a cold around 3 months that lasted a whole month and I was feeding her to get over her terrible night coughs. She got used to her all night buffet and I couldn't let her CIO in intervals since I have been traveling all over the US since early October. I had to stop the eating!
I dreamfeed her at 1030, and she is allowed to eat past 4, but every day I have been lengthening her to 5 and then I will work towards 6.

I think that once we get to 6, I will treat any nightwakings as controlled crying sessions. I will try to cut out the dreamfeed at around 9 months (she just turned 6 months).

I really do think it works- and it helps them sleep better, which is what you want to teach them!

Karis's naps stink though! I just have to deal with that I suppose.


Good luck! I know Henry can do it!

Tracy's Porch said...

We did it with our girls at around six months and I am so glad we did!