Saturday, May 14, 2011

you're so vain

I haven't had a tan since the summer of 2007.  After that I decided that wrinkles and skin cancer really aren't my thing, and I "vowed" to always wear plenty of sunscreen and never get sunburned again.  Even on a beach trip in 2009, I stayed as white as I possibly could.

Fast forward to this year, when I went walking with one of my friends - ahem, you know who you are - and she started laughing at me because my legs were so white.  So since then, I've been trying to wear shorts and get outside more. 

But today my vanity got the best of me, and I went to the pool to lay out.  I only put sunscreen on my face, neck, chest and hands (the places where the sun can really do/has already done some aging damage).


Now I am very pink.  Fortunately my shoulders were somehow been spared.  And fortunately it's not as bad as the some of the sunburns I got in my younger, dumber years that forced me to cry myself to sleep at night. 

Once every four years is an improvement though.  At least I have that.  My dermatologist would not be proud.

1 comment:

Marie said...

If making insensitive comments to you about your appearance gets me mentioned on your blog, I think I will start doing it (even) more often.

Pale skin used to be a status symbol since peasants had to work outside all day in the sun, or something like that. So really I was giving you a compliment.

Oh and by the way, my legs are tan from walking outside / playing tennis, but my feet aren't. You can make fun of my sock tan next time you see me.