Thursday, October 16, 2008

the sports tension

Right now, the Texas Longhorns are #1, and it's the MLB playoffs. I am not amused. Matt, on the other hand, is ecstatic.

Matt gets really funny around football season. I don't see him get excited about many things the way I see him get excited about college football. Every single Saturday during the season, he HAS to wear his burnt orange. In fact, this fall he was so anticipating the season that he wore his burnt orange the Saturday before the season had even started. I caught on to this enthusiasm and exposed it immediately. Now, since the only A&M shirt I have has holes in the armpits (and since I have denounced the Aggies), I started wearing an Auburn shirt on Saturdays just to mock Matt's excitement.

Also, every year he starts to daydream about the Texas/OU game about a week or two before. It's so funny. This was the first year that he hasn't gone to the game since his freshman year of college or something like that. Anyway, he starts saying over and over again really enthusiastically, "MAN, the Texas/OU game is such a good time..." and then he ALWAYS brings up the turkey legs at the State Fair. I don't get it; why are the turkey legs such a distinct part of Texas/OU weekend? Nevertheless, he is very enthusiastic about the turkey legs. So enthusiastic that I have to make fun.

The other thing going on right now is baseball. My personal opinion is that baseball is boring to watch. Matt gets sooooo excited about baseball season. I'm usually thinking, "Why are you so excited? It just ended like two days ago." So right now, since it's playoffs, we have the games on all the time. I usually just beg him to PLEASE change the channel. Right now he has fallen asleep on the couch in an effort to see the result of the Tampa Bay/Boston game. I guess I could get away with changing the channel, huh?

The thing about that I've realized in my 2 1/2 years of marriage is that THIS IS NEVER GOING TO END! Before football season is even over, Matt's going to start getting excited about college basketball, and before that's over, he's going to start getting excited about baseball again. Sigh.

I just had an idea. I think I am going to stop washing his UT shirts. Eventually he will run out, and that will be a funny day. Yesssss! I have games of my own that he knows nothing about. :)

4 comments:

Katie Wussow said...

Leah, you know you want to be a longhorn fan. Stop resisting. It is a great time to jump on the bandwagon. Embrace it.

Leticia Ana said...

If you had gone to UT, you would understand all the hype about the OU game, and sports in general :)

Tracy's Porch said...

I have to say, the Longhorn excitement is very much the same around here. Maybe Matt needs to come hang out with us on Gamedays :-)

Leah said...

Had I gone to UT, this might be more fun, yes. However, I cannot just start cheering for them. My real issue is not that UT is winning - I could care less about that...I don't lie. I have cheered for them in the past. It's more the fact that Matt's so freakin excited about it.