Last night, we were going to be eating a late dinner, and so we opted to get the pizza instead of cooking. My job was to pick up the pizza on my way home from a meeting, and Matt's job was to preheat the oven.
When I got home at about 9:15, Matt greeted me at the back door.
Matt: "Now, I don't know if we are going to get to eat the pizza. I think something's wrong with our oven." (Trying to break it to me gently and also carrying a somewhat concerned tone.)I think Matt has a general paranoia concerning the household appliances he doesn't use very often. It is not an exaggeration that every time we leave the house together while the dryer is still running he says something like, "The dryer's running. I hope our house doesn't burn down."
Leah: "Really? What is it doing?"
Matt: "Well, when I turned it on, it made a really weird noise, and I smelled a lot of gas."
Leah: "Okay, show me. I am not going to be happy if we have to eat spaghetti."
Matt turns on the oven to show me. Nothing unusual happens.
Matt: "Do you hear that?"
Leah: "What? The gas?"
Matt: "Yes, it NEVER makes that noise. Is it leaking?"
Leah: "Um, babe, It ALWAYS makes that noise."
Matt: "No way, there's like a FIRE in there."
Leah: "When was the last time you actually turned the oven on?"
Matt realizes that the only thing he ever cooks on his own is spaghetti, waffles, and eggs, and that the last time he turned on the oven was probably at least a year ago.
Matt: "That's so weird. It's like there's a fire in there."
Leah takes over the operation of kitchen appliances.
Once again. Drama King.
6 comments:
Oh my gosh, my MOM is exactly like that. She cannot leave the house with the dryer running. She'd rather the wet clothes get all funky smelling and have to re-wash them instead of let the dryer run for 30 minutes.
Too funny.
I love Matt!
Oh, Matt. That is so funny. I swear y'all need to call NBC and pitch them your married life story.
Hey, why is my blog not on the "blogs we love" site?
I'll take that idea into consideration Tracy.
Ok, I JUST found this blog! I didn't realize you guys had a personal blog too! This is a funny story. :) I hope you got to eat your pizza since it was Matt malfunctioning and not the oven! I might think about leaving say the crockpot plugged in while I'm gone, but I've never once worried about the dryer being on when I leave home. I don't think that would have ever occurred to me. ;)
Post a Comment