Thursday, September 10, 2009

a tribute to greedy doctors

So, if you've ever been pregnant, you have, without a doubt, been the ear to countless labor and delivery stories. Women love to exaggerate talk about the terror of bringing their children into the world.

The most memorable example of this for me was getting to hear it from the lady who did my last bikini wax. (Sorry if that is too much info. However, women, if you don't get bikini waxes, you should. It's worth all of the pain.)

Anyway, Natalie, my regular esthetician, was on vacation. (Btw, Natalie thinks I am having a boy. Not sure how she can tell that, but she claims to be like 100% accurate guessing the sex of her friends' children. Whatev.)

So this time, it was Brooke who was in charge of torturing me- both with the bikini wax and, much to my surprise, the tale of her labor.

The second I mentioned being pregnant, Brooke informed me that 6 short months ago she had delivered her first child- all-natural, at home, and it took her a whopping 36 hours to pop that sucker out.

My first question: "So why did you decide to have the child at home?"

She went into a spiel about how doctors are greedy, and they are on a schedule, so they just want to get you in and out as fast as possible. (I mean who would want that?)

She then took the next 45-minutes to recount, step-by-step, all the gory details of her labor. And instead of giving you the details (since I tried to forget them) I'll just say that she spit out a lot of cuss words.

I left feeling very thankful for my greedy doctor, who will gladly give me pitocin AND an epidural. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a win-win?

2 comments:

the blogivers said...

Whenever I get pregnant, please lie to me and tell me that giving birth was the easiest thing you ever did. Thanks.

Honey said...

Funny! So she did not have pre-natal care?