Friday, February 25, 2011

Hi, I'm Awake

Well, last year on February 25th, I woke up extremely depressed that I was not in labor. This morning I can't sleep, so I went back through ALL of my Februrary 2010 pre-labor posts to remember what I was going through. This is not just to reminisce, though it's partly for that...

However, I have a friend who is currently 39 weeks pregnant, and she is currently going through the same excruciating wait that I went through last year. It's difficult to remember how that feels, but based on those posts I was extremely preoccupied with one thing... when is this baby coming out? I wonder if I will be the same way in future pregnancies, but I'm doubting it... or hopefully not quite as dramatic as I was before. Anyway, that's not what this post is about.

What is this post about? Well, I'm not sure, but I was thinking about my recent conversation with Matt regarding the Five Love Languages, and I thought it made for a good blog topic, so there you have it.

If you don't know about the 5 Love Languages, then you should Google it. The premise is that we all give and receive love in different "languages." Acts of Service, Physical Touch, Gifts, Words of Affirmation and Quality Time. If you're wondering whether or not I buy into it or not, I guess sort of... but also, not really. You understand, right? Okay just kidding. But that's not the point of this post either...

The point is to tell you about the conversation I had w/ my hubby regarding this. I asked Matt what he thought his love language was, and he very quickly answered that it was acts of service. (Which, by the way, is at the VERY BOTTOM of my list.) So then I'm thinking, "Like what?" Seriously... because I don't really know the best way I can serve him... well, friend, turns out there is ONE thing that Matt needs... DINNER. That's basically it. If I plan and cook dinner (instead of not planning and having something lame or not planning and eating out), he feels on top of the world. (Okay, I got him to admit that he appreciates me doing the laundry and dishes.)

Anyway, it's kind of lame that the things Matt likes the most are the things that are technically "my job." But it's cool. That makes him easy to please. It is ironic that I am really never too excited about meal planning - I could eat cereal or a sandwich for dinner and not care. I could also get take-out 3 nights a week and not be bothered by it. Perhaps if I keep reminding myself how much it means to him I will like doing it more. And... I think I've gotten better.

Meanwhile, Matt is super-husband. I mean, the man takes care of Henry, cleans up dinner, serves me like crazy... which is super-convenient for me, however... It doesn't necessarily make me "feel" loved. What makes me feel loved would be if he just wanted to BE with me all the time, not doing anything other than just hanging out with me. This is difficult for my "do-er" husband who values quality time less than I do. But he's gotten better too. :)

There was more to the conversation, but we both concluded that we are a special match. :)

No comments: