Sunday, March 16, 2014

sweet little update

This post brought to you by 4AM...  Note, I wrote the first part of this post on January 15th, and apparently never got around to finishing it. (There's quite a few drafts sitting around over here.)  I figured I would just add to it...

---------- 1/15/2014 -----------

Henry has gotten really specific at night when he is praying.  This has been really sweet for us to hear.  A few of my favorite things he has prayed lately that make my heart melt include:

"Jesus, thank you for bringing soccer back."  Side note: Henry does a 30 minute soccer class once a week after school, and he loves it.  I almost didn't sign him up for the winter session because I hate being cold and didn't love the idea of sitting outside in winter weather for 30 minutes.  Last week, Henry asked when he would start soccer again, so Matt and I decided to go ahead and sign him up.  Last night after his first practice, he prayed that sweet prayer. 

"Thank you for healing our sins."

"Thank you most of all for dying on the cross for our sins."

"Thank you for letting Blythe share her bike with me today."

"Thank you for Sam and for the baby brother in mommy's tummy."

Sam is a pretty good communicator too.  He says a lot of hilarious things, but one of my favorite things he says recently is the word "actually."

Example:
Me: Sam, would you like a fruit snack?
Sam: "Yes... [wait a minute] No, ACTUALLY, I want gum."

Or he'll say, "I want to watch Cars.  No, actually, I want to watch Frosty."

---------- Today/ March 16/Two months later ------------

I think I'll continue with the theme about what my kids are saying and doing.

Over the past few months, Henry has been asking a lot of questions about Jesus.  These prove to be interesting because typically he wants to know if anything is bigger, faster, or older than Jesus.  But we've also gotten into a lot of conversations where I find myself explaining the incarnation or the fact that Jesus is fully God and fully man, and as you can imagine with a four year old, that gets interesting.

He also thinks that age, height and speed all go together - so if you are 45, you are faster than a 25 year old automatically.  And if you are 45, you are taller than 25 year old.

Let's talk about the "faster." He's reeaaally into how fast he can run.  Typically, he will tell us that he can run "Six hundred million thousand twenty two." (Made up number, but it typically sounds something like that.)  There's usually not a unit attached, but he will occasionally add "miles per hour" at the end.

Sam is talking more and more.  Sam is a kid who does not care about your feelings.  I say that jokingly, but really.  Example - a friend of mine is over for dinner and affectionately touches his head or something like that, and he turns his brow down and in a very deep, angry voice says, "No, I don't want you to touch my head!"  Or maybe instead of saying he doesn't care about you feelings, I should rephrase and say that the kid knows exactly what he wants.

Until he gets angry.  Then he just knows that he wants to be mad.

The other day we went to the pool, and something set Sam off.  I can't remember exactly, but he was angry, and he wasn't going to participate in whatever we were doing.  In these situations, it is no use trying to make it better or convince him to do anything.  He just needs to sit by himself for awhile.  If you approach him too soon, he will have none of your consoling.  So, first I tried to hug, he refused, I offered "belly flop races" (something he and H do across the pool) and he refused, so then I just ignored him and played with Henry for about five minutes while he pouted. Then later I walked back over to him, and offered him a hug, and he accepted, and then I offered him a belly flop race and he said, "MESS."  (That's Sam for "yes.")  And he forgot all about why he was mad, and so did I.

I'm not gonna lie though, the kid is hilarious when he's angry.  It is quite amusing.  Poor Sam.

Okay, I'm gonna add some pictures to this post and call it a day (at 5:20 AM). Cause let's be honest - I could probably go on forever.  Can't wait to add another boy to this mix!

Umm doesn't this melt your heart?  Notice froggy made it in the picture.  Sam has had serious attachment to froggy for about a year now.  Froggy was actually Henry's, but Hen never got too attached to his stuffed animals.

My jewelry box valentines day gift from Henry - a keeper.


Henry, Sam and Blythe on the swing at the Knoxes.

Sam likes to lounge on the couch and watch movies.

Henry got birthday doughnuts.

The bike was a great gift, and Henry has picked it up right away.  He took his first big spill yesterday, but fortunately mommy was not there to have to deal with the drama of it.

Getting his Soccer Shots certificate.  He has gotten more aggressive and interested in chasing the ball!

Sam w/ mommy's upside down sunglasses.  Blurry.





2 comments:

Melissa Mezger said...

I know I have said it before, but sorry you aren't sleeping. I was thankful for some early morning reading though.

Such sweet prayers & handsome boys!

Courtney Squillante said...

I love reading what kids have to say and what they think! Your boys are just precious. And Sam sounds so much like Charley I can't handle it.