Hey blogosphere! Let me get the apology for infrequent posting out of the way first. I am sorry. I've been stacking up a selection of post topics, but have not been able to get the momentum I need to turn those into actual posts. Do you forgive me?
Also, my sister had her baby on Monday night. So as soon as I get pictures, I will post them of my new nephew, Bennett George Vescovo! :) I went to Houston on Monday/Tuesday to meet him, and he is so precious.
But all that aside, I think we need to have a little talk. Because if you are EVER in public, and happen to be using the word "REALTOR®," I want to make sure you don't sound like an idiot. That is the point of this post. I want to educate you. (And if you are wondering... Yes, this is a direct response to a conversation I overheard at Starbucks in which the participants were talking very loud.)
First we need some definitions. What is a "Realtor?" The general public believes that a REALTOR® and a real estate agent or a real estate salesperson are the same. They are not. REALTOR® is actually a trademarked name given to those real estate agents that are members of the National Association of REALTORS®.
A real estate agent has a license to represent buyers and sellers. A REALTOR® is a real estate agent who pays a buttload (for lack of a better word) of money and takes extra courses to stay informed and be a member of their local, state, and national association of REALTORS®. They also have access to their local Multiple Listing Service, where most real property is listed for sale or rent. So be safe rather than sorry. Just say "agent" or "real estate agent." And NOW, for the MOST important part. PRONUNCI - freakin - ATION. :)
Do you see an "A" in between the L and the T of the word "REALTOR?"
The answer is NO, you sure don't.
So please, please, please, do not say "Real-A-tor." That is not a word. It's "reeeeel-tor." Please resist the urge to add an "A" or an "uh" where it clearly does not belong.
I'll work on being patient with the less informed. You're welcome. :)
5 comments:
Thanks for the lesson. You are so funny.
and...congrats on becoming an aunt again!
Hahahaha I'm really hoping I didn't call my brother-in-law the wrong thing OR pronounce it incorrectly! Please don't hold it against me if I did... I blame Rocky. And the cupcakes.
So funny Leah! Brad and I had this conversation the other day because the commercial was calling them "real-a-tors" and I was so confused and thought that I had always called them the wrong thing. Thanks for clarifying :)
oh goodness, that's a great lesson. i have my own pet peeve about dietitians/nutritionist. A nutritionist is pretty much anyone who eats FOOD. so it's completely insulting to call an R.D. a nutritionist. A Registered Dietitian is someone who took LOTS of classes, did an internship and passed a crazy hard test. And notice the spelling of dietitian (there is no C)!
whew, I feel better.
Thank you, Meredith! I feel much more confident about my use of the two words now. :)
Post a Comment