Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Awe - Summm - ness

I received an award... bestowed upon me by my cousin Tracy. Tracy's blog is filled with all of her mommy activities, and I am constantly amazed at the variety of things she is able to come up with to do with her almost 3 year old (and one on the way!). Check it out. And thanks so much for the award, Cuz!


The rules are to post seven awesome things about yourself and then to pass the award on to seven awesome webloggers. Unlike, my cousin, coming up with my own awe-summ-ness was not hard! And I don't feel completely uncomfortable tooting my own horn, especially since I am just following the rules. On the one hand, I do agree that whoever made this award is completely narcissistic, and it could quite possibly be the same person who invented TWITTER. On the other hand, I can't say I'm disappointed about this opportunity. You can put two and two together. So here it goes.

1. I am really awesome at being a hypocrite. Yes, you read it right. Well, take for instance twitter, this blog post, etc. Am I the first to complain about how annoying it is to see that Johnny is soliciting opinions about whether to eat Cheetos or Doritos for lunch? YES. And yet wildly, at the same exact time, I tweet, I waste time devouring people's tweets, I share with Matt all the tweets I saw today, and I scare people with the information I know about them via social media. Ugh! I hate my own hypocrisy, but I'm good at it.

2. I am really awesome at saying NO. If you pick up any book or magazine that is aimed at women and moms, they are constantly trying to teach women that it's okay to say "no" every once in awhile, and you shouldn't feel guilty about it because if you are stretched too thin, you won't be able to do anything well. This is a concept I love and whole-heartedly embrace. So I say NO a lot. Also, I used to be awesome at breaking commitments, but Matt put an end to that (mostly) when we got married. So NOW, instead of saying yes and then flaking out, I mostly just straight up say no, and I do that kind of a lot. But my natural instinct is to say no first, and then after coming to my senses, I will come back and say yes. It's better than saying yes and then wishing that you hadn't - if you ask me.

3. I am really awesome at observing people and then making judgments about them. By "making judgments" I don't mean being judgmental in the condescending, Pharisaical way that you might be thinking. What I mean is that I observe and point out people's habits, personalities, and oddities. After collecting sufficient data, I make judgments about people, which serves as the framework for which I interpret their behavior in the future. As far as I'm concerned, my judgments are correct (hence, the awe - summm- nesss). I won't lie that there are some people out there that are just a big fat mystery to me, and I am perfectly happy leaving it that way because this isn't something I try to do. It is just something I do naturally... and awesomely.

4. I am really awesome at quitting jobs. This is just a fact. Can't say I'm proud of it. Can't say it's the right thing to do, but I think it really comes down to the cold hard truth that I just really don't like to work that much. Ain't sayin' this is good. But there it is. I am awesome at quitting jobs. Consider me Peter Gibbon's protege. I have no good defense for this.

5. I am really awesome at being an antagonist- a person who is opposed to, struggles against, or competes with another. (Note: I am also good at referencing dictionary.com.) Basically, if I feel comfortable enough in a relationship (and sometimes even when I don't), I will openly oppose any and all of someone's held beliefs and opinions with which I disagree. It's actually a rather annoying quality. But if you know that I disagree with you about certain things, consider it a compliment - it means I either feel close to you or I trust that you won't take the opposition personally. Two things I am working on: 1- Feeling confident enough to oppose strangers and acquaintances. 2- Easing up a bit on friends and family cause like I said - it's annoying.

6. I am really awesome at being self-deprecating. This might actually be a totally bad thing because it stems from too much self-consciousness, which if you couldn't tell already, I am very introspective. I pretty much underestimate myself a lot.

7. I am really awesome at living by the mercy of God. Note: That sentence contradicts itself. Note also: Gospel plug. Basically what you have learned about me is that I am an uncommitted, narcissistic, lazy, hypocrite who still somehow feels comfortable telling other people how wrong they are at life. Now don't you want to be my friend?!?!

But the deal for real is that I AM all those things, completely unfit for a relationship with God, The Creator of the Universe and yet, He loved me by sending his only son, Jesus, to live a perfect life and die on my behalf, so that in trusting His imperishable blood, my old self is dead and my new self is born again to live forever in relationship with Jesus and start to bear fruit that resembles Him. All because of His mercy and love. He has done this for the glory of His grace; I just believe that it's THE Truth. Capital T. The end. Game over.

I am also breaking the rules of listing my seven awesome webloggers because I honestly think all of my webloggy friends are awesome and it is hard to narrow it down. So, if you are my webloggy friend, here is your award and feel free to play.

2 comments:

Tracy's Porch said...

I jut knew you wouldn't dissappoint :-) Loved it!

Tracy's Porch said...

Okay -so in my google reader you had a psot called Policy Sauce and I tried to come comment and it had been deleted? What Mickey D's were you at?? Because I noticed the same thing a week ago and thought it was strange also. Now I am thinking it may be a corporate thing??? I bet that would spin you in a totally different "rant"?!!