Thursday, September 24, 2009

Did you know?

Ever wonder why the weatherman says there is 90% chance of rain for the day when it is ALREADY raining outside? I mean wouldn't any logical person figure that the chance of rain would be 100% when it is already raining? Clearly.

Funny that I was contemplating this just YESTERDAY because TODAY on the Bobby Bones show (don't judge, Austinites), I learned exactly what that % chance means. What it means is that on past days when the atmospheric conditions have been the exact same as they will be on the day for which you are predicting the weather, it has rained on ___% of those days. Get it? That's how they can say there's only a 90% chance of rain when it is raining.

Turns out the meteorologist isn't a total idiot.

2 comments:

Annie said...

haha good point, i would have wondered the same thing!!

Amber said...

Very interesting information! I never how they came up with the %chance rates.