Thursday, February 4, 2010

the time Matt broke my tailbone

Almost two years ago exactly (or was it three? the years run together now), Matt and I went roller-skating with a group of people for my best friend, Sarah's, birthday. I love roller-skating and ice-skating, and I typically think I am pretty good at it, but that's just me. (Note: pride comes before a fall.)

Well, this particular time was a great day that turned bad really fast. I was skating along side some friends, and Matt was behind me. I looked back, caught his (irresistible) gaze (hahaha), and decided to slow down so that I could skate next to him. At the same time, Matt decided he'd speed up and lovingly take me by the hand so we could skate together. So romantic. Except he was going way too fast for my feet to adjust.

Next thing I know, "BOOM," I am flat on my back on the skating rink. It was a devastating fall. At first I start laughing because it was kind of funny and a lot of people were staring, but as soon as I got up and started skating, I was in terrible pain. So I went over to the side of the rink, sat down, and then in a matter of minutes realized that I could barely get myself to stand up OR walk.

At this point, I started bawling. But I was embarrassed to be crying in front of so many people (mostly acquaintances), so I got a little angry. And, like humans do, I found someone to blame. Poor Matt. Poor, poor, Matt. Okay, but it really was his fault. Obviously, he didn't do it on purpose. The details are fuzzy, but I am pretty sure we were not on good terms during the ride home.

Well, we determined that I had either broken my tailbone or bruised it pretty badly. I could not sit on a chair normally for awhile. I even went to Walgreens and bought a doughnut pillow to ease the pain on my coccyx. (Official name for the bone. Haha.) I brought that baby w/ me in public. Embarrassing but true.

Why am I telling you this? You see, tailbone injuries don't really heal very well bc there is nothing you can do for them. I decided later that the coccyx had to be broken, not bruised, because it still bothered me at random times like on long road trips, etc. Which brings us to now. Ten pounds or so of baby + Placenta = Pressure. And my tailbone is feeling it. That's why I told you that story.

I am just hoping it doesn't have any negative effects during delivery, otherwise Matt better be careful. :)

1 comment:

Courtney Squillante said...

Oh my gosh- my tailbone is sore already!!!! I asked my doctor and she said it's because when your pelvis starts opening up it can put pressure on your tailbone. It doesn't hurt NEARLY as bad as yours (it's just every once and a while at this point), but it's SO annoying! And I hope the delivery goes well without it interfering! :)