Thursday, March 10, 2011

i pretty much hate healthy food

So, sugar is really bad for you. We all know it. Yada yada. To be honest though, if consuming tons of sugar had no physical affect on me (headache, stomach ache, fatigue, acne), well then I think I would eat 100000 grams of sugar a day, no matter how bad they said it was. I mean, even with all of the consequences I just listed, I still have dessert like two and half times a day. (Which, if I might say so, is still using restraint.) If anyone "deserves" to get Diabetes, by the way, it's me.

But, in my old age, I feel like it affects me more and more and I actually have started to BELIEVE that there are consequences to my actions (ahem, diabetes is real). And sugar causes inflammation, which leads to like every disease imaginable. So at last, I am TRYING a little bit harder to just cool it off with the sugar. Basically not buying a huge pack of sour patch kids and/or chewy sweet tarts every time I go to Target and trying not to keep tons of junk in the house. (Side note: I will never be someone who thinks that I am going to really be able to control my health and everything that happens to me with my diet... or that everything that happens to me is the result of something bad or good that I did... that's mainly bc I believe in the sovereignty of God. Just throwing that out there.)

So, using my logical brain, I decided that MAYBE I wouldn't want dessert as badly if I filled myself up with healthy stuff at dinner. So the other night, I filled my plate to the brim with this nasty, disgustingly textured garden salad from Central Market. My goal was to eat that salad as fast as I possibly could because I didn't want to taste it anymore, I just wanted it IN my belly so that it could be doing good things for my body and making me full so I wouldn't down the tub of ice cream in the freezer equally as fast.

Well, Matt will tell you that, with each and every huge bite of nasty spinach and arugula, I would say, "I hate salad!" Obviously, that would get annoying if you were Matt. He tried to tell me that I was extreme with my efforts to be healthy, but he also liked my "get full on good stuff so you don't eat the bad stuff" logic. So in the end, I won, and I got to keep talking about how nasty the salad was. Actually, I couldn't make myself finish it, and Matt ate the rest of it for me. How frustrating is it that he actually LIKES the salad?

Why am I telling you this? Not really sure. But here's something else. I just ate a very ripe banana because I was tired of it sitting out on the counter. Matt won't eat bananas past a certain ripeness, and he also won't eat more than one banana a day because he has a strange rule about only have food once a day. Anyway, when I was eating the banana I was thinking about how good it was that I was giving my body something healthy, but I also wanted to barf. I mean, normally I like bananas, but sometimes I just hate healthy food no matter what.

So, speaking of healthy and sugar. We finally figured out how to get our kid to eat himself some MEAT. (Which is important bc many babies around this age develop iron-deficiency anemia.) The answer? KETCHUP! High Fructose Corn Syrup me up. Henry downed his chicken nuggets last night and today at lunch all because of the ketchup. I tried to sneak him ONE piece of chicken without the ketchup, and he immediately spit it out. So, what's a mom to do?

Now, unlike his mom, Henry LIKES his vegetables, so I'm thinking we as long as we aren't feeding him bon bons, the ketchup will be fine.

Lastly, little tid bit. I like cooked vegetables that are tucked away into meals, such as veggie lasagna, or veggie fajitas, or in soup or something. But raw vegetables like salad? Yuckity!

Okay, that's all about how I don't like healthy food. Henry just woke up from his nap, so this ramble is over.

4 comments:

Amber said...

FYI, the Heinz "Simply Heinz" ketchup does not have High Fructose Corn Syrup in it, so you can give that particular kind to Henry without guilt! And get him to eat his meat. ;)

Marie said...

Dear Slim,

I believe they make ketchup without high fructose corn syrup. And I like your use of the word "yippity".

Love,
Rita

sarah said...

SCARY. Scully and Amber posted at the exact same time. Leah, i sit here wondering how you are not a rotund woman. Really, i think back to high school and our playa trip and realize that you eat meals (or barely eat them) just to get to dessert. This is amazing, i didn't know until just now that you don't actually like healthy food-just thought you were avoiding it cause your belly needed room for dessert. Forks up!

The Joiners said...

Ha I totally relate to this- I really wish I could live on a diet strictly of cookies, candy, chips, and queso. Is that so wrong?