Monday, December 12, 2011

Part 1 - Labor and Delivery (the easy part)

Apologies for being SO late on the details of little Sam's birth!  (Although, it may have something to do with the fact that we have two children at home now, and literally within five minutes of walking in the door from the hospital, both children had pooped.)  Anyway, we had quite the weekend. :)  I will share the details in a little series.  Labor and delivery can best be explained in a timeline.  Enjoy. :)

Thursday
6:15 am - Leave for hospital
6:30 am - Check in at registration
6:45 am - Get put in delivery room, told the nurse would be there in 5 minutes
7:00 am - Still waiting. This is when we officially chose the name Samuel (Sam) Keith. (Details on that later.)
8:00 am (NOTE, that's way longer than 5 minutes) - NursES (plural) come in to room and start getting me set up for induction.  We were told there was a miscommunication, aka - they just straight up forgot about me.  They had three nurses setting me up because they had been running behind.  Unfortunately, Matt and I have gotten used to waiting at the Dr.'s office, so we didn't think much of it. 
9:00 am - Start on pitocin.  I had already gotten to 5cm all on my own without hardly any painful contractions at all.  Be very jealous.
9:30 am - After feeling about two real contractions, epidural is ordered.  Two contractions was enough for me. :)
10:00 am-1:00 am- Visit with Matt, visit with our (very chatty) nurse, text people out the wazoo, see Henry, let family come say hi.
12 ish pm - Dr. comes by to say hi.  Tells me he thought I stood him up this morning!  Ask me how happy that made me, since I am Miss Punctual.  The nurses never told the doctor that is was THEIR mistake that I supposedly "no-showed" that morning.  Bad form!  :)
1:00 pm - Two practice pushes with nurse.  I have to keep myself from pushing while they call the doctor because I feel like baby was going to fall out.
1:10 pm - Dr. gets to room, gets everything ready.
1:15 pm - Start "pushing" except I was literally afraid the baby was going to fall out on his own.  Dr. makes me hold off on the pushing because he doesn't want me to tear (more TMI).  Dr. literally just pulls the baby out without a single push.  I push one more time to get the rest of the body out.
1: 21 pm - Baby Sam is here!

That was the easy part!  Sam came out looking like a C-Section baby, and I am not just saying that.  It was quite welcome since Henry, handsome though he is, came out looking like E.T.  My family, in laws, etc. were all telling me how great I looked - because seriously I did NO work.  I woke up early that morning, put my make up on, curled my hair, and then sat in bed all morning until the baby fell out.  It was quite awesome.

But, if you are very jealous of me, don't be, because we had some drama go down... that story will be next, and hopefully I won't have to leave you hanging too long. 

In the meantime, I am SO glad to finally be at home w/ our little family of four (plus my mom who's helping big time)!  And I am SO thankful for my devoted blog reading friends. Missed you guys! hahaha.

3 comments:

the blogivers said...

Glad you had such an easy labor/delivery, but yes, admittedly feeling jealous :) hopefully the "drama" was nothing too major!!

Courtney Squillante said...

I heard a little of the drama part from Andrea. So glad you guys are safe and sound and I can't wait to read details and hear your story... He is adorable and you look amazing.

Annie Houston said...

Ok don't leave us hanging! So glad you had such an easy labor/delivery experience! Makes it so much fun!!