Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Lessons Learned - Professionalism and Girl Scout Cookies

I would say that there is a LOT of maturity to be gained from age 21 to 25. Maybe maturity isn't the right word, but a 21 year old recent graduate has a lot to learn about how the world works, and speaking from my own experience, a 21 yr old typically also has quite a bit of humility to be gained. If any 21 year olds out there disagree, just wait till you are 25, then come talk to me.

Anyway, Matt was not a business major, but God had plans to give him a career in business, and so he/we both had a lot to learn. I'm talking little stuff, like how to dress professionally. (They teach you that stuff in business school if you want to learn it, but not when you are a political science major, like Matt was.) When we were 21, neither of us really thought professional appearance was a big deal, but now we both realize that while on one hand it is secondary and not a big deal, on the other hand, it IS a BIG deal. (FYI, Matt is thankful to 1- live in casual Austin, and 2- have a casual work environment 95% of the time. We'd never make it in Dallas.)

Anyway, Matt learned another awesome lesson in office politics a few years ago. When your colleagues' kids come into the office and ask you to buy girl scout cookies, you BUY them. Don't ask why, you just do. It is just what you do. A few years ago, he came home and told me that he felt really bad because "so and so's" daughter had asked him to buy cookies, and he basically looked at the little girl and shot her down on the spot... and NOT because he didn't have money, people. (I mean, the kid actually came to the office... this was not like mom or dad doing work for the kid.) This is the same guy who can look a sweet puppy in the face and not feel any urge at all to pick it up or pet it. I promise, he is not cold-hearted...

So obviously when he informed me of this, I immediately made him promise that he'd go back the next day and order some cookies from the mom because like I said, it is just what you DO. Since then, we have gotten girl scout cookies every year. And there seem to be more children coming around the office to sell them these days, which means... more cookies.

Great! Except I have something to confess that many of you might find extremely insulting... I like Thin Mints, but I don't love Thin Mints. They are called "Thin" Mints for a reason, people... they have less calories per serving than all the other types of cookies. And you know what that means... less calories = less yummy goodness. Thin Mints used to be my absolute favorite, but now I'd be happy w/ some Carmel Delights or those peanut butter ones w/ chocolate, EVEN the lemon ones... just something a little more substantial.

But Matt keeps buying THIN MINTS!!! I told him last night, NO MORE THIN MINTS! I wanted him to track down one of those kids so that he could buy another box of something else. There is much to be said for variety. I want variety!

Last year I didn't care because I was sending the cookies away- back to work with Matt so his co-worker's could entertain themselves at work and someone else could get fat besides me. Ha. But this year I am pregnant. This year I care.

So anyway, we have a couple of boxes of thin mints sitting in the freezer if anyone wants to come over and pig out. Or, I'll trade you if you have something else, how bout that?

Baby update coming next...

3 comments:

Meg said...

As a 22 year old 1 year out of college, I admit that I have a lot to learn.... but I have 2 babies. nuff said. :) (sorry, Leah, it's just the offended 21 year old coming out in me.)

Honey said...

I am so glad that you realized that office politics is important..especially buying stuff from people's kids. Just keep your fingers crossed that his office doesn't develop a "no selling at work" policy before Henry grows up and starts selling. That's what happened at James Avery....No selling at work!

Anonymous said...

who are these people that LOVE thin mints? i have never been a fan, they're...fine. i guess.

however, YES caramel delight me up! they're been my fav since I was a kid. and just the other day I was going on about how the peanut butter patty ones that are surrounded by a generous layer of chocolate are bueno as well.

right there with ya!