It might be the last hour, but it's still Wednesday. ;)
I am introspective to a fault. It's really easy for me to see my own problems and issues. And it's really easy for me to figure that I am usually the one at fault... This is good and bad. It's good because I have almost no problem accepting the truth that I am a sinner and that I am in need of Jesus... I feel the truth of that every single day. It's good because I usually feel the need to fix my own attitude before expecting other people to change.
But this is also bad because after "discovering" these issues, I have trouble looking OUT and AWAY from myself (to Jesus), which is exactly where help for all these "issues" is found. So, I tend to spend my energy trying to fix myself. An impossible feat if I might say so myself.
What if instead I spent my energy fixing my eyes on the One who has already clothed me in righteousness and made me whole? What if I stopped thinking about everything I lack and all I need to do and started being thankful for how God has made me whole and how He has done it ALL!?
For me, it takes a heavy dose of faith to let Jesus carry the burden of my sin and shortfalls. To fix my eyes on Jesus instead of my own problems takes faith because it almost feels like I am just ignoring my own sin. But that's not it at all. I am trusting God to justify the ungodly (myself) apart from works. I am letting the sacrifice of His Son do it's saving work in my life.
The other reason I tend to feel afraid to take my focus off of myself is because I am afraid some sin will go unnoticed, but this is also a lack of faith. God is the one who convicts us of sin. Without God, my vision is distorted - there is no way I could accurately judge my own actions and attitudes by introspection alone. Once again, if I look to Jesus, I can trust that he will graciously and gently keep his promise of purifying me. Also, if I am constantly judging myself, how can I be worshiping and trusting God?
I feel free-er just thinking about not thinking about myself!! Woo hoo!
So, there is a nugget for you. Although it seems like I am a black sheep - 95% of the people in my life are not introspective at all- so there's a good chance this may not apply to you.
1 comment:
Love your introspectiveness
Post a Comment