Tuesday, July 17, 2012

thanks buddy

You may recall that Henry comes into our room every single night in the middle of the night.  You may also recall that we purposely unlock his door before we go to bed so he has the freedom to do this.  However, this is probably gonna stop, oh, TONIGHT.  Ya see, what used to be a relatively low maintenance scenery change at 2:30 AM has turned into a mom-do-this-mom-do-that-or-else-I'll-never-fall-back-asleep routine.

So Henry pitter patters into our room around 2:30.  Then he proceeds to whisper off requests.  "Mama turn that way." Which means, stop facing the direction you normally face when you sleep and face me.  Then, "Hand. Hand." Which means hold my hand... and not just "hold my hand" but scratch my hand and my ear and my arm and don't you dare try to rest that wrist down on the bed while you are scratching.  And recently we've added "I want water mama" to the checklist of requests that are required before Henry falls back asleep.

So last night, I'm telling you I was SO TIRED.  I was not up for it.  But he asked for water like 50 times in a row.  (Matt sleeps through this entire thing, mind you.  UGH- DADS!)  So I like stomped out of bed, "FINE!  I'll GET YOU SOME WATER!"  I get up, fix him water, hand it to him, he sweetly replies, "Thank you mama."  I feel a little remorse for being so upset that I had to get out of bed, and then about 15 minutes later, Henry is fast asleep.

Meanwhile, I can't go back to sleep for the life of me, so I try really hard NOT to check the clock, then finally give in and it's almost 4:00.  Maybe it would be easier to sleep on the couch where I am not sharing a pillow with my toddler?  Nope, still can't fall back asleep.

Original plan this morning was to wake up at 5:30 to go to the gym since I'm supposed to be training for a half marathon and completing 50 consecutive pushups.  Instead I got there at 4:30.  I was finished with my workout by 5:15 and home by 5:30, so I took a shower, climbed back in bed and slept till 8... begged Matt to please take care of Sam so I could get more than 3.5 hours total of sleep.

Right, so needless to stay he's staying in his room tonight.  Door is staying LOCKED.  Also, needless to say, I am going to take a nap right now. Since both of my boys are sleeping at the same time.  God is showing some serious mercy right now.

Good night.

1 comment:

Honey said...

Oh, sweet Henry. "Thank you, Mama"