Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Three Years of Marital Bliss

Today is our anniversary! Happy three years to us. To celebrate, I thought it would be fun to share with you three "fun facts" about the history of our relationship. Enjoy!
  • Matt and I were friends in high school, but we were NOT attracted to each other in high school. I remember our Senior year, Matt's superlative was "best eyes," and since I never really took the time to look in his eyes, and since apparently he never smiled at me, I thought it was totally bogus. He was just Matt, the guy who copied my homework and talked to me about his girl problems. (Yes, you read it correctly... HE copied MY homework in high school. Hard to believe, I know.) Oh, and I also thought he was a little bit egotistic. Someday you will have to read what I wrote in his yearbook; it is rather amusing.
  • Our official "dating" anniversary was October 12th. We "defined the relationship" over the phone our freshman year of college when Matt was in Dallas for the Texas/OU game, and I had come home that weekend after the A&M/Baylor game in Waco. (That was back when beating Baylor was a given.) The funny part about this is that a couple of weekends before that official talk, I had gone home for our H.S. homecoming game and he was holding my hand and acting like we were dating. So, when my old HS classmates asked if I was dating anyone, I responded "yes," but didn't say who. This caused some confusion, and Matt and I actually decided after that weekend that we needed to retract the "dating" status until we were able to get approval from certain friends/parents/other people. It's sort of silly, but I am glad we did it the way we did.
  • I bought my wedding dress six months before we ever got engaged... and I got caught. Matt was upstairs in my dad's office one day and saw a file folder entitled "Leah's Wedding." Of course he was thrown off-guard since we were not engaged yet. Inside he found the receipt for the wedding dress. Can you imagine how you would feel if that happened to you? It just dawned on me the other day, "What if he had been planning to break up with me, but he saw that folder, felt bad, and just stayed with me because he thought he had to?" I asked, and he assured me that wasn't the case. (I'm joking, of course.)
In conclusion, Matt is God's perfect match for me! I really do believe that he would be successful at ANYTHING that he wanted to do. I will follow him any place he wants to go! And of course, I will be faithful to blog about him and tell his silly idiosyncrasies every step of the way!

13 comments:

Tracy's Porch said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!!

the blogivers said...

happy anniversary to you! love the wedding dress story :)

sgc13 said...

Hi Leah!

I found your blog from Erin Mill's and just wanted to drop a little note.

Funny enough, I bought my wedding dress before Russell and I were engaged too!

Happy Anniversary!

Sarah G-C

The Joiners said...

Cute, cute- happy anniversary to you both!

Anonymous said...

so exciting! what are you guys doing to celebrate? alex and i are coming up on one year in april!

Kelsi said...

Congrats Leah! I remember you showing me the dress before you were engaged. Glad everything worked out, haha!

Leah said...

We're going to go on a date to Eddie V's on Friday night to celebrate! It will be fun, but not quite as fun as usual since I am fasting from dessert...:( sad day.

Unknown said...

you said matt could do ANYTHING - what about DANCING for a living?

Rachel Erwin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Honey said...

Good story! I think that's the first time I've heard about Matt finding the receipt for your dress!

Leah said...

Marcus, if Matt wanted to dance for a living HE TOTALLY COULD! And he would be successful. And everyone would love it.

elias and hope said...

I love reading your blog. I feel like in some things, you and I are actually a lot alike. I didn't buy my wedding dress before were engaged, but one night while babysitting I decided to make a guest list. Elias saw it and was a little freaked out. haha.

Leah said...

I am glad I'm not the only one! :)