Friday, July 15, 2011

just waiting for Starbucks to open...

Seriously, maybe the reason Starbucks is not open 24 hours isn't because of the lack of customers they'd have between the hours of 11pm and 5am. Maybe it's because they don't want to be full of crazy insomniacs like me who shouldn't be drinking caffeine anyway.  Whatever.

I have been tossing in bed since 2:45 am thinking about a slew of things.  Lucky you, I'm just gonna divulge.

1.  What in the WORLD did I DO before I had children?  I'm not going to lie, I hate when people say this.  And I hated it even MORE before I had a kiddo because I was like, "What, you don't think I'm busy?"  So to answer your question, person without kids, trust me, I know that you're busy.  Not the point.  I'll just leave it at that.

2.  Thank goodness babies aren't born as toddlers.  It's really nice that kiddos start as newborns.  Cause their needs actually grow and grow as they get older.  They actually demand a lot more from you as they become toddlers and so on.

So instead of having to start with a toddler who requires SO MUCH attention, it's nice to start with a little baby who doesn't move, talk, eat real food, and who, honestly, sleeps most of the day.  Not that you don't need to give that sweet baby attention!

I remember feeling like it was kind of a pain to have to sit Henry down to feed him real food because it took for-freakin' EVER!  A lot of the transition phases were just rough because they required more work and more time.  (AKA less time for me, which btw is a good thing.)  What's amazing is that eventually you get kind of used to it and you start wondering what you did before you had kids... ha.

3.  Baby in tummy is preparing me for 3am wake-up calls.  Little guy or gal inside of me likes to be active in the wee hours of the night apparently.  He sent me straight to the pantry for a peanut butter sandwich.  While we're on the topic... can I just share a pet peeve?  (Which, mom brain, I have probably shared before.)  There's some certain terminology that people use in the context of nursing babies, which literally makes me want to curl up in a ball and BARF MY BRAINS OUT.

The first one is the word "FEEDING." (When used as a verb in reference to what the baby was doing.)  I used to HATE when Matt would say, "Is Henry feeding right now?"  NO! Henry is EATING.  He is not a pig at the trough.  We don't FEED. We eat.  Don't ask me why, but I cannot STAND when people say that their baby woke up to "feed."  You woke up to feed the baby. The baby woke up to eat.  People do it all the time.

Next.  "I'm just going to give the baby a little SNACK."  (This in reference to breastfeeding just a few minutes instead of a full "feeding.")  A snack? That is just SO GROSS SOUNDING to me!!! Yuck.  I'm sorry, but my kid will not be getting "snacks" from my body.  I mean, if a short feeding is a snack, then why don't we just name ALL the meals?  The first feeding can be breakfast, then brunch, lunch, a snack, dinner, and dessert. Why not?

This is coming from a person who didn't so much love breastfeeding to begin with, so just excuse me if you feel offended right now. 

(Don't worry, that's just about a tenth of the stuff I was thinking about at 3am.)  All that, and Starbucks still doesn't open for another hour!

5 comments:

The Joiners said...

Ha your thoughts on breastfeeding terminology made me laugh! Good luck getting some sleep... eventually :)

Tracy's Porch said...

Thanks for the laugh! I needed it today with all the craziness going on here.

Kristi said...

the starbucks on anderson lane is open 24 hours :) or at least they used to be. just some friendly info :)

Leah said...

Thanks, Kristi! I think they still are, and I totally would have gone there except that I had to meet some friends at ANOTHER starbucks at 7. Now that I'm thinking about it though, that would have been a good option.

Honey said...

You're so crazy!