You've probably heard the popular phrase, "God won't give you more than you can handle." Is that true? If God never gave us more than we can handle, why would we need to depend on Him?
I might, in fact, argue the opposite! God ALWAYS gives us more than we could possibly handle on our own. (Not more than our faith in Him can handle, but more than our own strength could handle.)
He did it with Israel. He gave them the law. Why? So that they would realize how incapable they were of keeping it on their own and turn to Him instead. He gave them more than they could handle so that they'd realize that they need a Savior, Jesus.
Since we are not God, our plates are always filled with more than we can handle, whether we realize it or not. This is God's grace - so that we'd stop trying to pretend that we are gods and that our strength is sufficient and that all things are in our control and that we have all the resources to make things happen. He gives us far more than we can handle so that we would turn to HIM, the One True God, who is all-sufficient, all-powerful and whose resources are truly infinite.
So he gives us trials, he gives us insanely busy schedules, he gives us demands that compete with each other, he gives us sickness. He gives us a Standard of righteousness that we could not ever meet. What is out of your control at the moment? What is causing you anxiety? What are you constantly failing at?
God has given this to you as a GIFT so that in your weakness, He could be strong. He has given me these things as a gift so that I would cease my silly striving, know that HE is God (not me, not anyone else). He will be exalted in our weakness!
3 comments:
I love this!
Great post & excellent reminder. I love it. Thanks for sharing!!
Leah, I have been saying this for years. You expressed yourself wonderfully, as always. After Leslie's death, a few people said to me,"God never, etc." My reply was that I could never have handled this, it was always God.Love you, Nana
Post a Comment