Monday, March 2, 2009

maybe think twice about that Jesus fish

This will redeem the last post about Reveille.

I'm on my way home from the gym today, and for once I am actually driving civilly.

I have to merge onto a highway, and have limited time (due to a short merging lane) to get over. I am going a little bit slower than traffic, but not much, and it's really obvious that I need to get over.

But the bleach blonde with giant sunglasses in the silver Volkswagen Beetle behind me decides that it would be better just to speed up and make me linger in the shoulder. So I did what I had to do and merged in front of her, admittedly going a tad bit slower than she was. Now, I realize that I probably could have timed this merge better, but it really wasn't that bad.

I then look in my rear view mirror, and without a doubt see her mouth very clearly, "What the (four-letter-word-that-doesn't-start-with-"H") are you doing?"

Now since I was trying to be civil but didn't think my driving warranted the f-word, I sort of just raised one hand with my palm facing upward to make a "why did you do that?" signal.

She then proceeds to speed past me via the left lane, proudly displaying... yes, a Young Life bumper sticker and a Jesus fish (icthus, what have you). Shame, shame, shame.

Of course, we both got stopped right next to each other at the red light just a mile or so down the road. Can you say, "awkward?" (For her of course, not for me.)

I suppose I can forgive her... although I know nothing about what it's like to have road rage. :)

2 comments:

Rachel Erwin said...

haha, oh no. that's sad.

Honey said...

One of these days.....you are going to be a calm driver..I just know it!