Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Bertha (1997-2009)
When I was in 7th grade, our other English Bulldog, Maddie, had 12 puppies, 8 who lived, and we ended up keeping the "runt" of the litter, Bertha! My brother and I still fight over who named her, but I won't back down - It was me.
As you can see, Bertha was never denied table food - ever. She didn't beg though. She'd just sit patiently next to my dad until he was finished, then she'd sit patiently next to someone else who wasn't finished yet. And she knew what "all gone" meant. She definitely lived the high life.
But this past year, she had some problems. She successfully had a cancerous tumor removed from her leg, only to find another one a few months later on her heart. My dad made the tough decision to put her to sleep yesterday.
We will miss Bertha! She was the sweetest dog, and we're thankful for the 12+ years she lived and loved us back. :) Here's a video of Peej (nephew) doing his Bertha impression 2 Thanksgivings ago.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Poor Bertha :( RIP.
So sorry for your loss, Leah. Losing a member of the family is always hard. English Bulldogs hold a special place in my heart even when I don't know them.
We didn't know it at the time, but Bertha turned out to be the Pick of the Litter!
Did you sensor my Bertha comment? I swear I posted something yesterday...
It basically said very sad. I loved Bertha. The video was cute. The end.
Actually I named Bertha. I wanted that to be Maddie's name. She truly was the sweetest dog in the world.
I've never met a dog in my life who loved going to the vet...until Bertha!
She was always so special!
Bertha the Chicken Nugget! What sad news...
Post a Comment