Tuesday, July 14, 2009

cravings, aversions, and my new found sense of smell

Warning: This post may awaken cravings you didn't know you had. If you are on a diet or if you are hungry, I highly suggest reading this on a full stomach.

During the first 4 weeks that I knew I was pregnant, I was afraid I might give it away because my nose was smelling things that no one else's nose could possibly smell.

I felt like I was constantly asking, "Do you smell that?" Usually the answer was, "No psycho."

Most notably, I found out that our bathroom has a permanent stench which I have never noticed before. I won't describe it, but let's just say I don't really go in there anymore.

What about food aversions?

Well, I know you won't believe this, but I have not been to Starbucks in OVER a week. Honestly, just thinking about drinking plain coffee (my drink of choice) makes me feel sick. The good news is that the smell of Starbucks doesn't bother me, so when I stop sleeping all day, I plan on returning to my 2nd home to read, study, blog, etc. I will just have to get a frappuccino instead of coffee.

Also, guacamole. I can't even give it a second thought. SICK! I feel the queasiness rising up.

What about cravings?

Anything from Taco Bell, McDonald's, breakfast tacos, Mexican Food, Italian Food, SODA, cheese, salt, grease, fat, and anything along those lines for starters. Okay, but I'm not really wanting burgers at all. By the way, it's okay if you want to barf right now - that probably means you're normal.

Anyway, these cravings get very specific at very specific times. For instance the other night I really wanted the bread and garlic butter from Spaghetti Warehouse. How random is that?

Another night, I demanded that Matt take me to Yogurt Planet. When we got there, I decided I didn't want yogurt anymore. So we drove about 20 feet to Mandola's (Italian). Upon arriving at Mandola's, I decided that I didn't want to go there anymore either. At this point, I decided that the answer was Chuy's. So at almost 10pm, Matt took me to Chuy's because I really wanted the mini chicken burrito with deluxe tomatillo sauce.

(By the way, after this episode I apologized to Matt for being sort of a brat, and his response was, "That's okay, I've already told myself that in order to get through the next 9 months I have to remember that I am not dealing with a rational being." Whatever. I am perfectly rational.)

I finally realized that a homemade lasagna or cheese tortellini hits the spot almost as well as a burrito from Chuy's, so it seems our wallets may have a chance of surviving this pregnancy.

Some other low points? (Besides the burrito story above.) I actually ordered a Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell. Haven't had one of those since 9th grade.

High points? (This is debatable.) Pancakes with lots of butter and syrup from Kerby Lane... twice in three days. Also, the sausage biscuit mentioned in my last blog.

As you might expect, Matt is scared. And I think he is amazed that I haven't ballooned yet. Key word = yet.

10 comments:

Leticia Ana said...

you are so crazy. I hope Matt survives :) oh and you haven't had Taco Bell SINCE 9th grade, not sense. ha! oh... and CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Steph said...

hahahaha :) the weird thing is that i also craved taco bell at the beginning of my pregnancy (hadn't had it in YEARS) AND i couldn't stand starbucks! (sadly, even the frappuccinos...). we once went to sonic at 10pm because i really really wanted tater tots and don't think i'd ever had them before... totally random. keep the stories coming!

Brad and Katrina said...

Ha! I like Matt's comment...."I'm not dealing with a rational being." made me laugh.

Kristi said...

I think the sad thing is that I have cravings like this all the time and, last time I checked, no baby or one on the way. The other day I demanded that Blake stop at Kroger on the way home and buy me a package of texas toast and a thing of marinara sauce. And then I ate half the box. I thought this was normal...

Eryn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

AHHH. congratulations. i had no idea you were pregnant. i've been behind on reading blogs lately! this is so exciting.

i know from reading your blog that you've had baby on the mind for quite some time. when are you due? and do you think you'll post belly pics when you start showing...i think you should, lol!

anyway, so happy for you two. really excited to read about the next 7 months!!!

Andrea said...

Wow, so what a BIG mistake to read this post. It's like torture! I try really hard not to think about certain foods in the States because... well, it's just torturous! Thanks, friend. I think I'll go eat some beef or maize meal now.
P.S. Do you really drink coffee black?? I'm super impressed! (And mildly grossed out.)

The Lukefahrs said...

Hi Leah!! Ann gave me your blog, and I've had so much fun reading it! I am due with our first in just a few days... and experienced many of the SAME things you are!
1) for your bathroom, boil a big pot of water, add some bleach, and dump it down your shower drain. That fixed our bathroom smell... that I only noticed when pregnant!
2) when you get to feeling better, try the cream-based double chocolaty chip frapp from Startbucks... with a shot of decaf espresso. So good!

Can't wait to hear updates and stay in touch!

Leah said...

haha I love all of your comments.

Andrea, big apology to you... I think it would do me well to go to Africa where I couldn't satisfy my every single longing whenever I felt like it.

Eryn, I have taken belly pics, but we will see if I actually end up posting them for the whole world to see... since the whole world obviously reads my blog. I am not that brave.

And Lauren! I'm glad you found the blog... I am going to try the boiling water w/ bleach thing - thanks for the tip.

andrea ivey said...

Dude, Mexican pizzas rule. You have been missing out! Welcome back! And I love the fatty pregnant stories. Matt may have to get a third job...or you could just get one...