1. If you must clean your house, clean it the night before... no need to be ignoring your children while you clean the guest room toilet. Plus, if you are cleaning the toilet the morning of your play date, your kids will likely find something to destroy while you are ignoring them. Or you could just not clean your toilet because really, who are we trying to impress? Plus, chances are if they have a potty trained child there will be poop and pee all over the seat before the date is done anyway. (Or your two year old will squeeze his brand new tube of toothpaste ALL. OVER. THE. BATHROOM. - not that it's ever happened to me.)
2. If you care about showering and looking pretty, go ahead and shower and blow dry your hair the night before too. I usually skip the shower and the looking pretty, wear no makeup and put my hair in a ponytail. This also works.
![]() |
| This would have looked much cooler on Instagram. |
4. Coffee. There must always be coffee. And get some creamer - don't be offering your guests skim milk for their coffee. It won't cut it.
5. And, if you REALLY want it to be a successful play date, hire a babysitter (or a grandma). Then the mommies can actually talk, which is the point of the play date anyway, right?
Step 5 is a joke. Kind of. Now to the good stuff.
Blueberry Muffins - A recipe I adapted and healthified from a friend who adapted them from Alton Brown at foodnetwork.com. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Alton's recipe is linked, and I will post both my version and my friend's version for your pleasure.
Blueberry Muffins (Leah's healthier version)
1/4 C butter (half a stick) softened (since I didn't use a mixer, I almost completely melted it and it turned out fine- And you know I couldn't cut ALL the butter, I just couldn't do it.)
1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
1/4 C sugar + 1 TBS Honey (I prefer more sugar, but I was being healthy)
1/4 C butter (half a stick) softened (since I didn't use a mixer, I almost completely melted it and it turned out fine- And you know I couldn't cut ALL the butter, I just couldn't do it.)
1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
1/4 C sugar + 1 TBS Honey (I prefer more sugar, but I was being healthy)
1 egg
1 C vanilla yogurt (I would use whole milk yogurt)
Zest of one lemon (I have found this to be the deal-maker with these muffins)
1 and 1/4 C all purpose flour
3/4 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 C blueberries (or as many as you'd like)
Preheat oven to 375, spray muffin tin. In mixer, combine the first ingredients - waiting
until each are incorporated before adding the next. In a separate bowl, combine the dry
ingredients and mix. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones in 3 parts, waiting for each
addition to be absorbed before adding the next. Lastly, add the blueberries, folding them
in with a spatula. Bake for 20-25 minutes, increasing the temperature to 400 during the
last 10 min of cooking time.
And the first adaption courtesy of Amber (who has abandoned her blog)
The Best Blueberry Muffins
**modified from Alton Brown – FoodNetwork.com
½ C butter (one stick) softened
½ C sugar
1 egg
1 C vanilla yogurt (brown cow, whole milk is the greatest…)
zest of one lemon (if you’re feeling fancy)
2 C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
¾ C blueberries – fresh or frozen (frozen ones will sink to the bottom of the muffins
though, making the fruit distribution disproportionate… if that bothers you…)
Preheat oven to 375, spray muffin tin. In mixer, combine the first 4 ingredients - waiting
until each are incorporated before adding the next. In a separate bowl, combine the dry
ingredients and mix. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones in 3 parts, waiting for each
addition to be absorbed before adding the next. Lastly, add the blueberries, folding them
in with a spatula. Bake for 20-25 minutes, increasing the temperature to 400 during the
last 10 min of cooking time.
*These are so quick I love to make them in the morning when I first wake up, then take a
shower while they are in the oven. When I get out the house smells delightful and I can
have a hot muffin, with butter…

3 comments:
I want to come when step 5 isn't a joke. And thanks for step 4, I'll make sure to have that if you ever come over- don't want to be offering you skim milk and having you turn up your nose. ;)
This is SOOOOOO hilarious. I love your sense of humor...(ha, ha!)
Love this! My kids always get annoyed when I tell them we need to straighten up for a playdate. They say nobody cares, which is probably true. I LOVE when I go to someone else's home and it's a mess. Makes me feel so much better about myself. I run a free online playdate scheduling site, http://www.playdateplanet.com and we also have a Facebook page. Do you mind if I copy your blueberry muffin recipe for our playdate fans?
Post a Comment