I am sure Matt will forgive me for including my own personal rants on "our" blog. I've been keeping this one in for awhile now.
A couple of weeks ago, I saw this TV commercial implying that high fructose corn syrup was healthy and natural. Of course, I was mortified. I am completely put off by the deceit of food companies who convince the general public that their food is healthy in an effort to increase sales.
Here is the commercial.
The website they are advertising, www.sweetsurprise.com, features several studies which conclude that high fructose corn syrup isn't bad for you, or that it is just the same as table sugar. (Let me go ahead and say that they are both bad for you, so comparing HFCS to sugar is sort of a joke.) The website also boasts, "The U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted high fructose corn syrup 'Generally Recognized as Safe' status for use in food, and reaffirmed that ruling in 1996 after thorough review."
Ever heard of a lobbyist?
So of course I appreciated ALL of the creative comebacks on YouTube, and decided to share my favorite.
:) Happy Thursday.
2 comments:
You should read Ezra Klein. He's definitely more of a liberal than you guys, but he's vehemently against the Farm Bill (the source of all those pesky corn subsidies) and periodically posts his thoughts on the matter.
http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/ezraklein
I will check it out. The fact that this issue can be considered a partisan one is silly to me. More proof that our govt system sucks, but that's another soap box. :) Oops. Enough ranting.
Post a Comment