Matt is an "out of sight, out of mind" person if there EVER was one. This explains why he can't "find" anything in the house. (See previous posts, finding things and more mattisms). For real, we have about 60 tubes of chap stick, and he won't be able to find any of them unless they are dangling from a string at eye-level.
I am mildly OCD, just mildly. I don't mind piles of junk unless they are neat piles. Example: When we get the mail I'd prefer that we immediately sort it and throw away the junk, but if for some reason we don't, then it needs to be stacked in a neat pile. But Matt is out of sight, out of mind, so when I put mail or anything else in a temporary pile for neatness sake, he forgets about it. Thank goodness for auto pay.
So under one roof, we have the girl who likes for everything to have a place and to always and immediately put things where they belong, and the guy who would rather take up the entire surface area of every counter and every table and every floor in the house with all of the items he can't afford to forget about. Now, this poses a unique challenge for us when we consider Matt's reading habits.
Matt likes to read about 7 books at a time. But, like many, he has a bad habit of not finishing them. And he's a busy dude, so if he does finish, it takes about 7 months. He read David McCullough's book, 1776 a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure it took from January to August. To his credit, he did read The Same Kind of Different as Me in record time(for him), but apparently that one is the type you can't put down.
So surely you are wondering how any of this relates. Well, when Matt is reading his 7 books, he likes to keep them out. Two on the bedside table, one on the kitchen table, two on the coffee table, one in his car, etc. You're getting the picture. Of course, I never read more than 2 books at a time, and I finish all of them and keep them neatly tucked away in a book bag.
Needless to say, I have spent a good amount of time the last 3 yrs straightening up books and neatly stacking them or returning them to their home on the bookshelf. (I actually discovered that if I put a book that Matt is reading on the bookshelf, he will forget he's reading it.) Now, I know you're wondering where I am going with all of this.
I was excited about Matt's New Year's Resolution this year, which is to actually FINISH more books, which means- ONE AT A TIME! (Yes! The bedside table will finally catch a break.) But I don't know how much confidence I have that it will work out, and you are about to understand why...
You'd think someone like Matt, in his effort to finish more books, would pick up a few 200 pagers. Like, why don't you read The Shack? A pleasant and easy 200 pages. But NO. This weekend Matt decides it would be a good idea to embark on a 600 page journey through Hillary Clinton's life. Can anyone else see why I am losing confidence here?
I will be sure to let you know when he finishes. Oh, and for the record, Matt wants you all to know that he has already finished a book this year.
3 comments:
spoiler alert! she grows up in privilege goes to yale law, meets a man-slut, marries the man-slut, moves to arkansas where she works in a firm and he becomes governor, she gets mixed up in some bad real estate deals and several of her associations commit suicide, later the man-slut becomes president and a lot of really embarrassing stuff about all of his affairs seems to ruin her life except now everyone sees her as a victim so they elect her senator, hoping to ride the coattails of her new-found victimhood to become presidentette she invests a ton of her own money but unfortunately the country falls under a huge spell of delusion and she has to accept condoleeza's old gig.
wow, that was really long, but at least not 600 bloody pages!
Haha. :) I will make sure Matt sees that.
I checked out a book at the library about Hilary a few months ago and it was boring except for the fact that she confided in Jackie Kennedy.
Matt is so endearing with his little quirks.
Post a Comment