One good thing about my insanely painful nerve pain: it leads to funny and awkward interactions in public. I'm thankful for these situations because who doesn't love a good laugh?
I wish I could describe this nerve pain for you. Let's suffice it to say that I can be walking along normally and all of the sudden I get shooting pains all the way down the front or back of my legs (that's femoral and sciatic nerves, respectively) which sometimes literally causes me to fall to the floor (if I am at home), and no that is not a dramatic overreaction.
Yesterday at Target, I was finished shopping, approaching the checkout counter, when this terrible pain struck me in both legs at once. I literally had to stop in my tracks, I hunched over at the waist and was squirming, and I let out an "Ooooh... Ughhh!" I then looked up at the sweet, young, innocent checker girl who had a look of fear in her eyes. (I'm about 99% sure she thought I was having a contraction.) Instead of setting the record straight, I just go, "Sorry about that."
It wasn't till a few seconds later that I realized how funny the interaction actually was.
Then I started imagining how fun it would be, if I was a better actress, to play pranks on people all the time.
Like, Matt's been dying for me to pretend like I'm not pregnant when someone asks me when I am due. He wanted me to do it in the last pregnancy, and he still wants me to do it. Just to act really offended and/or confused, and then say, "Oh, I'm not pregnant."
It would also be kind of fun to pull the "I'm in labor" trick on someone when I'm actually not, but then you have the whole "boy who cried wolf" thing, and that wouldn't be cool.
Now that I'm thinking about it, it WOULD be funny to pretend that my water broke. It would have to be the perfect situation (Thanksgiving Dinner maybe?), but it would be awesome...
Anyway, this reminds me of one prank I did pull on Matt last pregnancy. As you all know, I am a fan of epidurals. As you may also know, my pain tolerance is low (EXCEPT WITH THE NERVE PAIN - I'M TELLING YOU THAT'S REAL), my drama level is high, and natural labor has never been a thought for me. (I'm also thankful for the freedom to get an epidural.) So sometime in the last few weeks of my last pregnancy, I decided to play a trick on Matt, and our conversation went something like this.
Leah: Hey babe, I've been praying about it, and I think that I want to go natural in childbirth.
Matt: Really? (Like, with a half smile, trying to figure out if I am joking or not?)
Leah: (Continue in serious tone) Yeah, you know, I've been thinking, if I ever have to suffer physically for the gospel, natural labor would be really good training for that. Also, God made our bodies to be able to handle this pain, so I think he just wants me to endure that.
Matt: (Face turns serious and he secretly wonders whether he or anyone else can make it out of the delivery room alive with me not on medication) "Okay. Wow."
Leah: (Can't take it any longer.) JUST KIDDING!
Both of us: laugh! hahahahaha (And he probably called me a butthead or something of the sort.)
So there you have it day 11. Thankful for humor, awkwardness, pranks, and the freedom to get an epidural!
3 comments:
I got that sciatic pain with Gracie...and still do every now and then. Oh it hurts! I totally get it!!
BTW...be careful what you wish for with the water breaking. I was in a dressing room once and a lady's water broke all over the dressing room. The poor girls that were left to clean that one up didn't know what to do.
Don't pull any pranks on me if I run into you again before #2 comes...
This is so funny! I was actually going to write a blog about an awkward pregnant situation like this! Haha follow me, for when I post it! www.tooawkward.blogspot.com
Post a Comment