Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Thirty Days of Thankfulness: Day 1 [Everyday Gospel]

Since it is officially the month of Thanksgiving, and since I would like to be intentional about giving thanks in all circumstances, I figured it would be fitting to do a 30 day thankfulness series for each day of November.

So, today, I am thankful for... an everyday gospel.

What do I mean by that?  Usually, when you hear the word "gospel," if you have grown up in church, you think "way to go to Heaven when you die."  We cheapen the gospel to this: God is holy, man sinned, God sent Jesus to die and be raised for sins, and if you believe that, you go to Heaven.

So sure, the gospel is not less than that, but if that was ALL of it, then it's no wonder there are so many who call themselves Christians who have no joy, no power, no peace, no fruit in their daily lives.  There's a big disconnect between today and eternity if the gospel is just the way to go to Heaven.  And, if that is ALL of it, then no wonder unbelievers mock those who preach that there is nothing more to it.

The actual "good news" of the gospel is that right now, I am reconciled to God because of what Jesus did for me.  Today, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  Today, I am set free from sin, from anxiety, from fear, from slavery to this world.  Right now, because of the gospel, my heart is set free to live for the God who is worthy of my life.  Heaven is an extension of the work that the gospel has accomplished today.

Ultimately, the gospel is about how Jesus made it possible to be near to God.  Heaven is heavenly because God is there.  But God is also here, today, and we can have confidence to approach him if we have trusted Jesus who became sin on our behalf and gave us his righteousness, so when God looks at us, he sees his perfect and beloved Son.

That's what I mean by an everyday gospel, and that is what I am thankful for today. :)

No comments: