Thanks to waaaaaay too much caffeine yesterday (don't judge), I am up at 3:05 AM. I should go back and add a label too all the posts written between the hours of 2AM and 5AM. Chances are, I wouldn't have much of a blog if it were not for my insomnia.
Anyway, today I am choosing to be thankful for things that I am most often just tempted to complain about. Isn't it amazing that even when we are totally blessed beyond blessed, we can still find the negative about things? I will look on the dark side no more...
I am thankful for Matt's job. I am thankful for the obvious things about it like the fact that we have food on the table and I can stay home with Henry and it requires no travel and is very flexible. I am so spoiled for sure. So spoiled that when, once in a blue moon, Matt has to be there early or stay "late" for a meeting, I manage to find a way to complain. And while we're on the topic, Matt is pretty amazing when it comes to drawing work boundaries - even though I know he is incredibly busy and could easily work 20 hours a week more than he actually does. He is so great to get off early so he can see and play with Henry. He tries to wait till Henry wakes up in the morning to leave. He gets off in the middle of the day if I have a Dr. appointment... or a hair highlight. :) And, he's even taken Henry to work with him when I've been sick before. Not only that, but he still makes time to workout (not as much as he'd like), to spend time with me, and to spend time with the Lord. So, God forgive me, when I complain about this blessing of a job and blessing of a husband.
Since that was so long, I'll go with just one more. Maybe tomorrow I will continue this theme.
Anyway, the other thing I will choose to be thankful for today is my pregnant body. It's no secret that weighing almost 35 extra pounds is not really my idea of a good time. I avoid cameras, wear black almost everyday, and try not to look in the mirror. But, how often do I forget what my body is accomplishing with that weight? I mean, first of all, I got pregnant. A gift in itself. Then tack on the fact that my body is literally supporting a life. I need to do a lot less grumbling and a lot more thanking. (I'll have to remember this when I am breastfeeding too. I am not one of those whose weight just "melts" off when I am nursing. In fact, I'd say the opposite - that nursing 1, makes me hold onto about five more pounds and 2, makes me certifiably insane hormonally.) So, with all that, I am thankful for extra blood, extra water, placenta, seven pounds of baby (Dr. estimate as of yesterday) in my uterus, and even the extra fat that comes along with all of it.
And, even though it's kind of scaring me right now, I am thankful for the fact that there is torrential downpour outside! Always thankful for rain in Austin, Texas.
1 comment:
yeah, i don't get that magical fat melting side effect of breastfeeding either. i'm starting to wonder if anyone actually does?
Post a Comment